Starting school is an important step in your child’s journey into education.


As a parent of a future Foundation (Prep) student, we understand that the process of selecting your child’s future school and their transition into this new phase of their life can sometimes seem overwhelming. Starting school is an important milestone in any child and family's life, and we understand that transition to school requires additional thought, time, planning and support to make the process as smooth and as positive as possible.

We invite interested parents to book in for one of our informative, small-group school tours, held each week during the school term. At these tours you will receive a comprehensive Information Pack containing an Enrolment Form.

You can also download a copy of our Enrolment Form or Information Booklet below.

If you would like to book a school tour, please contact the office by calling 03 9780 6098 or emailing great.ryrie.ps@edumail.vic.gov.au.


We encourage all families to come on a tour but we also understand that this may not be possible. If that is the case please email a completed Student Enrolment Form, together with scanned or clear photographs of required documentation to great.ryrie.ps@edumail.vic.gov.au. 

Download Enrolment Application - HERE.


Download our 2023 - 2024 Foundation Information Booklet - HERE. 


Steps to enrol your child in Foundation (Prep) for the 2024 school year:


If your child is starting Foundation in 2024, you will be able to apply to enrol your child in a Victorian government primary school from the start of Term 2, 2023 (Monday 24 April 2023). Enrolment forms will be available from Term 2. 


What you need to do:

  1. Use Find my School to locate your designated neighbourhood school (referred to as your local school) and read about enrolling in a school.Please note school zones for 2024 will be available in late Term 1, 2023.
  2. Contact a government primary school to book a school tour or to learn more about the school and the enrolment application process.
  3. Download the ‘Foundation (Prep) Enrolment Information Pack for Parents/Carers for the 2024 school year' (available to download from the start of Term 2, 2023).
  4. Submit an enrolment application for Foundation (Prep) by Friday 28 July 2023.
  5. You will be notified of the outcome of your application by Friday 11 August 2023. If you receive an offer of placement, you should accept the offer by Friday 25 August 2023.
  6. Take part in enrolment information and transition sessions during Term 4, 2023.
  7. Your child will start Foundation (Prep) from Tuesday 30 January 2024.

Enrolment applications submitted after 28 July 2023 will be processed by the school as they are received, in accordance with the Department’s Placement Policy.

Your child has a right to enrol at their local school. Your child’s local school is determined on the basis of their permanent residential address. Visit Find my School to locate your child’s local school. The enrolling in a school page can also help you to confirm your child’s address for enrolment.

If you are seeking to apply to enrol your child in a school that is not their local school, you should read about school zones and how they work and how application


Information Booklet


If your family has moved into the area recently and you are interested in transferring to Great Ryrie PS or you are looking at enrolling your child/ren in Foundation 2024, please contact the Office on 9870 6098 for more information. 

School Tours will commence in Term 2 & booking will be avalable via the homepage 

We look forward to meeting you!



When children first start school there is a lot for them to get used to. Some children will adapt more easily than others. There are many things you can do to help your child transition to school as smoothly as possible, to aid in this, Great Ryrie Primary School runs an extensive Transition Program beginning in October, for all future Foundation students.


Transition Sessions allow students to become familiar with some of the routines of school and meet our wonderful teachers. Children will participate in a variety of activities and they might even meet a new friend.


During the Transition period, we also offer a number of Information Sessions for parents to learn more about the school, curriculum, daily routines, and how you can help at home. At the final session, the children will be introduced to their class teacher and the children who will be in their 2023 class.




© 2020 Great Ryrie Primary School Powered by Updat-ed